Many thanks to those of you who took the time to fill in the parent survey that was shared last week. We have pulled a number of things to work on from the survey results. If you would still like to fill in this survey, please click this link.
Wainui Camp Book:Over 40 people have ordered Wainui camp books and those who have paid should have received these. We will be putting a second order in this coming Wednesday, 31st July. If you would still like to order a camp photo book, please click on this link and arrange payment by Wednesday.
Home Learning:We have set up a calendar that all students have access to via Google Classroom. This calendar will include due dates for work this term (these will be put on this week and updated as the term progresses). It will be important that children check this calendar each week and ensure work is up to date. This may mean completing tasks at home. We will be following up on incompleted work at school.
Current home learning is working on Canatmath individual projects and spending time on Maths Whizz, as well as daily recreational reading.
Common Sense MediaWe'd like to draw this very useful website to your attention. Common Sense Media is a great place to check out the age-appropriateness of books, movies, and games.
What's coming up in term 3 for Year 7 & 8?
- Literacy: Speech researching and writing will be our focus for the first part of the term.
- Maths: We are currently working on class Cantamath projects. By week 4 we will be back into our regular problem solving with a focus on algebra to start with. There will be a slight reshuffle of maths groups.
- Science: This term we are focusing on the Living World strand of science. We are starting with learning about classifying living things.
- Inquiry: Our technology and social studies focus will be investigating self-driven cars. As part of this inquiry, we are hoping to take students on a field trip.
- PE: We will be finishing off our football unit (a focus last term) with a football festival. Korfball, yoga, ski day, Koru Games and athletics are planned for this term. Friday winter sport continues until August 23rd.
- Health: Towards the end of term we will be teaching the DARE (drug abuse resistance education) programme. Every week we have circle time discussions on Friday mornings. These focus on current issues for the children. We are currently learning about being assertive.
- The Arts: We start working on our end of year production very soon. This year we will be sharing a selection of well know musical theatre items.
Thursday, August 1st: Zone winter sport tournament. Bakery sale at lunch, items $1 each.
Friday, August 2nd: ICAS payments due (register your child here)
Thursday, August 8th: Peer mediator big day out
Friday, August 9th: Cantamath individual projects due.
Monday, August 12th: Teacher Only Day
Wednesday, August 28th: Cantamath trip in the morning. Team competition after school.
Monday, September 2nd: Speeches will be presented this week.
Tuesday, September 3rd: ICAS Digital Technologies test
Thursday, September 5th: ICAS Science test
Friday, September 6th: Mt Hutt Ski Day
Monday, September 9th: Hub speech final. DARE programme starts
Tuesday, September 10th: Cashmere High School Year 8 testing
Monday, September 16th: ICAS English test
Tuesday, September 17th: Koru Games day 1. This will involve about 30 children.
Wednesday, September 18th: Koru Games day 2
Thursday, September 19th: Koru Games day 3
Friday, September 20th: ICAS Maths test. Sir Peter Blake leadership award will be presented at assembly.
Monday, September 23rd: Zone speech competition in the evening.