In this post:
- Outdoor Education
- Getting active with Dave
- Sports news
- High School Info
We have booked two days to go to VelocityKarts for our outdoor ed experience this term. As well as experiencing the fun and challenge of blokarts, the children will also be involved with volleyball, human foosball, top team games and throwing games. Jenny and Caitlin's home-groups will be going on Wednesday, May 18th and Megan and Nicky's home-groups on Thursday, May 19th. The children will travel by bus, leaving school at 9:30 and returning by 3pm. We would love some parents to join us on this trip. Please fill in this form to indicate if you can help.
Getting active with Dave
Last term Dave ran spikeball as an after school session on Thursday afternoons. This will not be happening during term 2 and 3. He will now be taking a running club during Friday lunchtimes.
This term we have four sporting opportunities for our Year 5 - 8 tamariki
- Cross Country
- Swimming Sports
- Winter Sport
All children are involved in winter sport in some capacity. The winter sport opportunities available at our kura are netball, hockey and football. Weekly winter sport lasts for 10 weeks, (five weeks in Term 2 and 5 weeks in term 3) and takes place on Thursday afternoons.
Some children join a competitive team and play weekly games against other schools in our zone. Games are held at a range of locations.
Football - Hansen and Beckenham Park
Netball - School’s netball courts (Hillview, St Martins and so on)
Hockey - Ngā Puna Wai
Some children stay at school and form a development team, who focus on skill development in a non-competitive environment.
WE NEED MORE TEAM MANAGERS!
This programme heavily relies on having enough adult teachers and caregivers to have an adult with each team. At the moment, we are in desperate need of more team managers, especially for football. The role of team manager is to go with the team to their game. It would be awesome if the team manager felt comfortable refereeing the game and this may not be essential. Referring at this level is not usually too tricky and can be done with no prior experience. What is required is knowledge of the game, or willingness to learn and an ability to make fair decisions. The most important quality in a ref is the ability to be fair. There may be an older sibling in your whānau who could help out with coaching / reffing. If you think this could be you, please email Jenny at email@example.com.
Year 5 - 8 Cross Country
Our school cross country is Tuesday afternoon starting at 1:50 and is an event that all children participate in in some way. Please see the previous post for more information. The children have been practising during our PE sessions and we have been really proud in the way that they are giving their best effort in these sessions.
Year 5 -8 Swimming Sports
Swimming Sports is an optional event. It is usually in Term 1 but this year, due to COVID-19, it is being held on Monday 30th may at Wharenui Pool. Students who wish to take part and are confident swimmers can enter via a Google Form that is shared with them via Google Classroom. Student have until Thursday next week to make their entry. Some of our amazing Year 8 leaders have run information sessions with Year 5 and 6 to let them know details of this event.
We have teams organised to start games at Pioneer after school, starting soon. There will also be opportunities to play in a Zone Tournament.
High School Info
Each year in term 2, high schools share information for us to pass on to you. Now is a good time to look on the website of the schools you are interested in for your Year 8 child next year. Check out if they have an Open Day / Evening, check the enrollment procedures and you may like to check out scholarship information. We have received the following from Hagley College.
Year 9 enrolments here at Hagley.
- Applications for Year 9 2023 will open online from 16 May.
- Please note that due to the continuing uncertainty around the pandemic, we have made the difficult decision not to hold an open evening this year.
- We are still very happy to provide information about Hagley for 2023 to all interested parents, caregivers and students.
- Our 2023 Junior College Lookbook is available on our website at https://www.hagley.school.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2023_Hagley-College-Junior_Lookbook.pdf.
- Families are also welcome to contact Suzanne Waters (Director of Students) with any questions about learning in Year 9 at Hagley on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For any other queries, or for those unable to complete an application online, parents/caregivers should contact Lisa Amer on email@example.com or (03) 364 5134.
Thinking about Hagley for Year 9 2023? 10 key points about us:
- We're a Designated Character School. To join us, you must agree to engage with our culture and our values of Whakamarumaru (Responsibility), Mana (Respect), Whakawhirinaki (Trust) and Tika (Integrity). We also need to be confident that Hagley has the resources to support you in your learning, that there is a programme that will meet your needs, and that there is a place for you in that programme.
- We are a restorative school.
- We have an inclusive and diverse learning environment.
- We offer a connected curriculum.
- All Year 9 students have two hours of Te Reo Māori, two hours of Health and three hours of PE each week. They also all take English, Maths, Social Sciences and Science. Students also choose from a wide range of Kete Wana courses to complete their programmes.
- Social action and student leadership are actively promoted and celebrated.
- Our Targeted Learning class is very small. Only 2-3 places will be available for new students in 2023 due to returning students.
- GATE students are able to excel in their specialty fields.
- Enrolment for Year 9 2023 opens online on 16 May 2022 and closes on 8 July 2022 at midday. It is essential to apply during this time.
- There are only 125 places available in Year 9 for 2023. A ballot is usually required and will occur on 1 August 2022. Notifications re places will occur by 5 August 2022. Criteria for priority enrolment for those with family/whānau links to Hagley is on our website.