This time next week we will be into the action and adventure at Wainui. The children are excited, the weather looks great and we just can't wait!
Food preparation: I am still looking for three more parents to make up a pasta bake dish over the weekend. Please email me if you can help out. firstname.lastname@example.org
Baking: All children need to bring some baking to camp. This will be collected when they arrive at school on Monday, before getting on the bus. If you would like the baking container back, please make sure it is named.
Gear: The gear list has been repeated at the end of this post. Key items that all children need include:
- Two pairs of sturdy shoes, one of which will be worn in water (old lace-up sports shoes).
- A waterproof jacket, outdoor activities go ahead, even when it is raining.
- Plenty of warm clothing: poly-pro, fleece, wool. This includes a hat.
- Plates, cup and cutlery – named and in a bag.
- Wetsuits are provided, but they will need a pair of shorts to wear over the wetsuit if going coasteering.
Please let us know if you are having trouble sourcing any of these items, so that we can help out.
Medication: Any medication needs to be in a labelled bag with name and dosage / frequency and handed in to the child’s home-group teacher on arrival to school on Monday. This excludes inhalers, which the children should carry on them.
Electronic Devices: Children may take devices to camp for the purpose of taking photos. The children will be responsible for their device during the day. We will collect devices in at night. Any device going to camp must be named. Make sure these are fully charged and on flight-mode as chargers are not to come to camp.
Contacting us: Teachers will have cellphones on us at all times, if you need to make contact. Nicky: 027 6229403, Jarred 021 2305304, Jenny 027 9614005. Reception is a bit patchy. You can contact Wainui camp directly on 03 3048460
Departure and Return: Children need to meet in the Beckenham School hall at 8:50, on Monday. We plan to get back by 3pm on Friday. We will send an email out once we leave Wainui, with a more exact arrival time.
Good luck to all competitors swimming on Thursday. A separate notice will be sent out with final reminders.
Entries are trickling in for our Year 5-8 duathlon on Friday March 10th. Entries close this Friday. Please encourage your child to return their completed form to school.
The math home-learning that we handed out yesterday, is due in on Friday March 10th, a week after camp. Our first writing topic wraps up this Thursday. If your child is not up to date with this, their home-group teacher will send you an email, suggesting they spend some time on this at home.
Last week, as a social studies activity to support our learning about developing a stronger awareness of others, we tried the lap sit. While some were put outside their comfort zone, the teamwork and determination were brilliant.
Forensic science is our science focus this term. We are analysing clues left at the 'murder scene' earlier in February. Last week we conducted tests to identify a mystery powder.
Wainui Camp Gear List:
Please ensure all of the items below are named. Gear needs to be packed into a sturdy bag.
- Warm Sleeping Bag or Bedding
- Toiletries: Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Soap, Shampoo etc.
- Beach Towel and Bath Towel
- Plate, Bowl, Mug, Cutlery (named and in a bag)
- Waterproof Jacket
- Warm Polar Fleece or Woollen Jumpers
- Thermals / Base Layer (polypropylene or wool) for Coasteering/ Kayaking
- Swimming Togs
- Warm Hat / Beanie
- Sun Hat
- Trainers or Boots for Land Activities
- Sturdy, closed toe footwear for water activities (old trainers are ideal, no thin neoprene shoes)
- Small Backpack
- Water Bottle
- Any Required Medication
- Plastic bags for transporting wet kit home
- Wetsuit. (Wainui provide wetsuits for coasteering. Children will need to wear shorts over the top of these wetsuits.)