Wednesday 26 May 2021
The Kauri hub has put together 10 prizes for our hamper raffle. While the raffle will be drawn at our quiz night on Saturday, tickets will be available to the entire school community. Purchase your tickets for $2 each from in front of the school hall on Thursday and Friday, before and after school. Ten draws for $2 is pretty good odds, so be in to win!
Monday 24 May 2021
Kia ora everyone,
Thanks to those who sent in items for our hamper raffle today. We still have over half of the hub to send in a contribution and need these by tomorrow, so please make sure something is in your child's bag.
We are also in need of two more people to help out on the night - this Saturday from 7pm. Please email Nicky if you could join our cheery team.
Friday 21 May 2021
In this post
- Wrapping up ShowQuest
- Hamper donations
We need every family in our team to donate an item for our hampers that will be raffled at the quiz. Thanks to the 15 families who have sent something to school already. We would love to see another 100 items come to school on Monday. Please grab something at the supermarket over the weekend and put it in your child's bag for Monday. Many thanks!
A few pics from ShowQuest...
Friday 14 May 2021
On Monday, May 17th, performance day, the children will need to be at school at the usual time. The bus takes us to the Town hall in the morning. We stay there right through until the evening. As soon as we know our performance time, we will send an email out, so those of you not viewing the show know when to collect your child.
Children will need to bring the following:
- Their costume (clean and pressed would be fabulous)
- Any makeup they would like to apply
- Hair brush / comb. For those with long hair, please bring hair ties and bobby pins.
- Lunch and drink bottle.
- There will be pizza (we have allowed 3 slices per child) and a sweet slice for dinner. You may like to pack extra food, especially if your child does not eat pizza.
- A small non-electronic game, pack of cards, book, craft work etc - for down time.
- Phones can be taken for parent communication at the end of the night. We will look after these during the day.
- They can also bring a rug or cushion to sit on, as we are not sure how comfortable our allocated area will be.
Collection of children:
- If you are collecting your child after the show we will bring the children down to the foyer and sign them out as they are collected.
- If you are watching the show, children will be with their homegroup teacher in the foyer at the end of the evening. Please see the teacher to sign out before leaving.
- If you have any queries, you can call Nicky on 0276229403
Your children are awesome! Prepare to be dazzled!
Tuesday 11 May 2021
In this post:
- Getting muddy
- Hamper donation for Quiz Night
- Staff only day
We are less than a week from showtime. Please click here for important information and a form that everyone needs to read and complete. Costumes need to be at school tomorrow, Wednesday.
As winter approaches Beckenham Park is developing some muddy patches. The children are very good at finding these! If your child tends to come home muddy or has the potential for this, please make sure they have a spare school shirt and pair of pants in their bag.
We would like every Kauri family to donate a luxury item from the supermarket to our Quiz Night hampers. These hampers will be raffled on the night and we may also sell tickets beforehand. Please send an item along to the hub before the end of next week. We will have a collection box in the hub.
Quiz Night ticket sales opened in the weekend and we have already sold over half of the tickets. If you plan to enter a team, do so now.
Staff Only Day
A reminder that our first staff-only day for this term is next Friday, May 21st. School will be closed for students on this day.
Here are some pics from our first dress rehearsal last week.
Monday 10 May 2021
There is rain in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon. This is not forecast to arrive until later into the afternoon and so should not affect our whole school cross country tomorrow. Our plan is to go ahead and reassess tomorrow as needed. This might mean that we need to make a postponement call tomorrow morning. If we decide to postpone to Thursday, we will send out an email and put a post onto our kura Facebook page. If you do not hear from us, assume that cross country is on.
- Year 5 to 8 races will not start before 1:30
- Year 8 will race first.
- Year 0 - 4 races will not start before 2:15.
- Year 4 will go first.
Children can race in their red school polo or their house shirt. Shoes that are comfortable to run in should be worn to school.
If you are able to join us tomorrow afternoon, please support your child in returning to their team's base area after you have congratulated them on their efforts.
Nic will be at the park with some Wheely Good Coffee for purchase.
Sunday 9 May 2021
Get your team together and come along for a night of laughs at our Comedy Quiz Night.
- May 29
- Doors open 7pm
- Bring money for drinks and raffle tickets
- Supper provided
- Quiz Master / MC Jarred Skelton - our favourite funny guy
- Team size 4-6
- $10 per person
- Limit of 100 tickets
- Supporting Kauri camp fundraising.
Friday 7 May 2021
Wednesday 5 May 2021
Tuesday 4 May 2021
In this post:
- Camp photo books - one more chance
- Quiz Night
- Winter Sport
- 40 Hour Famine
- Kitchen closed
- High School Info.
Camp photo books
I have placed the order for 40 camp photo books and have since had requests from more parents. The form is open again. If you would like a book and have yet to order, please do so by Friday.
This Thursday, we would like the children to bring any costume that they have already organised to school. We know that some children may still be organising this. We are not expecting children to be in full costume. We have some clothing items and accessories at school that we can lend out. If you are having trouble sourcing anything, please ensure that your child has let us know so that we can try to match them up with what we have available.
Thanks to those who have filled in the form offering to help. We have decided to keep the evening meal easy and go with pizza. Our greatest need is hair and makeup helpers; this could be older sibblings. Please fill in this form if you can help.
If you would like to purchase tickets to see the show click here to go to Ticketek.
Many thanks to everyone who has offered to help with Quiz Night. If haven't checked out the helping options yet, please click here. Our greatest needs at this stage are, a person to coordinate ticket sales / promotion, a few more supper plates and some prize donations.
Winter sport starts in Week 5 of this term.
We would love to be able to provide every child who wants to participate in competitive winter sport a place in a sports team. To make this possible, we are still looking for adults to accompany teams. Ideally, this adult would be comfortable having a go at refereeing a game. This is something we can support you in learning how to do if you are new to it. If you are not comfortable refereeing but would be available to support a team, please do still get in touch. The most important thing we need is for the children to be adequately supervised.
At the moment we do not have enough adults for competitive winter sport to go ahead this year.
Currently, we are still looking for:
- Netball: 2 x year 5/6 and 2 x year 7/8
- Hockey: 2 x year 5/6 and 1 x year 7/8
- Football: 1 x year 5/6 and 1 x year 7/8 40
Hour Famine and World Vision
Congratulations to our 2021 World Vision Leaders. These students will be attending a Leadership Conference on 13th May to learn valuable skills on how to promote the 40 Hour Famine to the Year 5-8 students at Beckenham. This year the 40 Hour Famine starts at 8pm on Friday 25th June and ends midday Sunday 27th June 2021. This is the weekend of Week 8. We look forward to hearing how you plan to contribute to a wonderful cause.
World Vision Leaders: Alex Walker, Lauren Maule, Zoe-Arianna Clarke and Maxwell Page
Life as a teacher in our intermediate hub just keeps getting busier. We have been looking at changes we can make to keep things more manageable. Something we are going to action straight away is closing our hub kitchen for lunch preparation, as this requires teacher supervision every day.
High School Info.
It is the term of high school open nights. As we get emailed info from high schools, we will pass it on to you. This week we have info from Cashmere High and Hagley College.
Thinking about Hagley for Year 9 2022? 10 key points about us:
- We're a Designated Character School. To join us, you must agree to engage with our culture and our values of Whakamarumaru (Responsibility), Mana (Respect), Whakawhirinaki (Trust) and Tika (Integrity). We also need to be confident that Hagley has the resources to support you in your learning, that there is a programme that will meet your needs, and that there is a place for you in that programme.
- We are a restorative school.
- We have an inclusive and diverse learning environment.
- We offer a connected curriculum.
- All Year 9 students have two hours of Te Reo Māori, three hours of Health and two hours of PE each week. They also all take English, Maths, Social Sciences and Science. Students also choose from a wide range of Kete Wana courses to complete their programmes.
- Social action and student leadership are actively promoted and celebrated.
- Our Targeted Learning class is very small. Only 2-3 places will be available for new students in 2022 due to returning students.
- GATE students are able to excel in their specialty fields.
- Enrolment for Year 9 2022 opens on 10 May 2021 and closes on 25 June 2021 at midday. It is essential to apply during this time.
- There are only 125 places available in Year 9 for 2022. A ballot is usually required and will occur on 8 July 2021. Notifications re places occur by 16 July 2021. Criteria for priority enrolment for those with family/whānau links to Hagley is on our website.
Our website has more information: https://www.hagley.school.nz/enrolment/year-9-enrolment/