In this post:
- Great start
- Languages and Technology
- Leadership week
- Parent help needed for walk
- Maths Club
We have been so impressed with how well the children are settling into the hub. Their focus has been great, they are settling into routines and coping well with their masks. There is a very settled and positive buzz in the hub.
Many thanks to those who filled in forms for cybersafety, bus travel and BYOD. There are still a few forms to be submitted. Please click these links if you are yet to do so.
Languages and Technology
On Monday our language classes begin, with teachers coming in from Cashmere High to teach French (Megan and Jenny's home-groups) and Spanish (Nicky and Caitlin's home-groups). Classes will switch language midway through the year.
On Tuesday we start technology classes. Children need to be in the hub by 8:30, ready to catch the buses to technology at Christchurch South Intermediate. We will be back at Beckenham by 11:30.
Being at the red level, we have needed to re-look at how we do our leadership week.
- A 'Learn, Create, Share' self-directed unit will see the children put their recent learning about the '7 habits of highly effective people' into action. This will start on Monday.
- On Thursday, Feb 17, Mark Inglis will be sharing his life experiences with the children. Mark has spoken at school several times in the past and has so much valuable learning to share with our tamariki.
- On Wednesday, Feb 23, we have our Year 7 leadership day. The Year 7s can wear mufti that day and will be involved in practical activities that put the 7 habits into action.
- On Thursday, Feb 24, we have our Year 8 leadership day. Again, the Year 8s can wear mufti that day and will be putting the 7 habits into action in a practical way. Usually this day stretches to an overnight stay. Instead this year, we would like the children to stay on at school until 7pm. We have some fun activities planned for after 3pm and will finish the day with a pizza dinner.
- On Friday, Feb 25, the whole hub will head for the hills. We will be walking up Bowenvale track to Victoria Park.
Helpers for Walk
We are after a number of keen parents to join us on our walk up to Victioria Park on Friday, Feb 25th. The plan is to leave Beckenham by 10am and we will be back by 3pm. All parent helpers will need to have vaccination passes. Please fill out this form if you can join us.
If you have a keen Year 7 & 8 mathematician in your house, they may be interested in joining our maths club that will start up this coming Thursday, starting at 8:20am. We meet in ther Breakout Room to look at challenging problems and share a love of maths.
There is an opportunity for children to play volleyball after school on Mondays with Malcolm from Canterbury Volleyball Association. These sessions will take place from 3.15 to 4.45 on the park and will therefore be weather dependent. There will be a combination of teaching and drills to develop technique followed by games. The cost for these sessions is $30 per child, which needs to be payable to the office before the first session.
Sessions start on Monday the 28th of February. There will be four weeks of volleyball and then a week break. Volleyball will pick up again for the remaining two weeks of the term. There is a sign up sheet at kura for children to express their interest. Please, note that numbers will be limited.
Post a Comment